Monday, August 8, 2011

How the children of Compassion International have changed my life....

I'm 1st grade teacher in MN. Our school district has been housing many Karen/Burmese refugees from Thailand ... many of which are in my classroom. We are receiving newcomers every month! This has been an exciting experience for our school as well as my own personal and professional development as teacher.  One of my boys, Kyarke, passed away on June 24, 2009... right before re-committing myself to the Lord. Since working with the Karen/Burmese community at our school, I have learned how much they love the Lord and are grateful to the Christian Missionaries they have met in the refugee camps. When Kyarke died, at the age of 6, I was welcomed into the Karen/Burmese refugee community with open arms. When I would go to visit them to offer my support as Kyarke's teacher, I found that many would come to me to see how I was doing. Such faith that they knew this wonderful little boy was in heaven with the Almighty!  They put it so simply, "because you love him, and you are his teacher, you are family." Seeing how little these people have - yet are so rich at the same time because they see what truly makes life rich - has changed my life in a way I cannot explain!

After being brought into this community, and following the passing of Kyarke, I was inspired to sponsor a child from Thailand in his memory. I came across a Compassion banner while I was browsing C28.com - one of my favorite websites for Christian apparel. The first sponsor child's name is Chatchai. I have been his sponsor since October of 2009 and look forward to receiving his letters. It has been an exciting and blessing experience ever since I joined as a sponsor. In August of 2010, I received my packet for my second sponsor-child named Nury in Mexico! In December of 2010, God put it on my heart to sponsor a third child. My third sponsor-child's name is Yamairy from Dominican republic. These three little ones have changed my life. It amazes me how at such a young age, they are praying for me on a daily basis and committing their lives to Jesus.

If I could, I would sponsor so many more children.... I wish I had the funds to do so! I still wanted to do more to help release these children from poverty in Jesus' name. In September of 2010, I became Compassion Child Advocate. I have been setting up displays and brochures around my community about child sponsorship, gave a Compassion Sunday presentation to my church, and even got my 1st grade classroom to raise money towards the Bite Back! campaign for Compassion.

It is exciting and scary at the same time. My wish is to for God to use me in a way that will help advance his kingdom. I just hope that I am up for the test! I encourage you to visit the link below. I am not asking for donations or for you to sponsor. That is not my place... I am simply here to share my story. If you are called to respond for these little ones, I have faith that God will put it on your heart. I only ask that you simply pray for the children and workers of Compassion. They are constantly in prayer for their families and future sponsors.

Jesus said in Mark 10:14, "Let the children come to me, and do not hinder them." Pray that poverty won't stand in the way of these children knowing Jesus and what He has done for the world.

www.compassion.com/sponsor_a_child/default.htm?referer=114337

1 comment:

  1. This is great! I look forward to reading here about your experiences. I've been a sponsor since 1994 and became an advocate shortly after. Our sponsored family has grown over the years and we feel so blessed to be able to be part of these lives.

    Like you, I have a Compassion inspired blog... I'd love for you to visit and check it out when you have time. Currently we are working our way through Too Small to Ignore by Wess Stafford as a community. Have you read it?

    http://www.compassionfamily.blogspot.com

    Be blessed!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...