Sunday, December 4, 2011

Christian Reading

As a first grade teacher, I am frequently emphasizing the importance of reading. For me personally, I find it crucial to read everyday... particularly spending time in the Word of God. This is something I strive to do more of everyday. I also encourage everyone - including my sponsor children - to get into God's word daily.


I took the liberty of looking up the word "read" and "reading in Merriam-Webster's dictionary. Here are a few take-away points I took from the definition.

read (verb) 
  1. to receive or take in the sense of
  2. to learn from what one has seen or found
  3. to become acquainted with or look over the contents of
If there is anything I strive to read EVERYDAY, is the bible. Getting into devotional time with Him is ever so important in keeping in my commitment to the relationship I share with Christ.



In addition to the bible, what are your favorite Christian "reads?" I am listing 7 books (7 because the bible dictates it as "completeness and perfection"). These books are in no particular order. These are among my favorite reads these past 3 years.

1. The Purpose Driven Life by Rick Warren
 

2. The Shack by William Paul Young

3. Crazy Love by Francis Chan

4. The Divine Mentor by Wayne Cordeiro

5. Unshaken by Dan Woolley

6. Captivating by John and Stasi Eldredge

7. The Bondage Breaker by Neil T. Anderson

I encourage you to share your 7 favorite Christian reads by posting your comments! This might spark some ideas for great Christmas gifts! What have you read and what are your thoughts on the book?

5 comments:

  1. Isn't Crazy Love amazing? If you liked that, you should check out the second book in the "series". It's called Forgotton God.

    The Shack was a brilliantly depressing book. I don't think I'll be able to read it again anytime soon.

    Thanks for sharing new books to read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do have Forgotten God. Haven't had a chance to read it through though. The Shack was a sad book, but at the same time, I couldn't put it down because it truly shows the love of God in times of sorrow. Let me know what other favorite reads you have!

    ReplyDelete
  3. In terms of christian reading, I like things by Donald Miller, especially Blue Like Jazz. It's a very quick read and easy. I read it in my high school youth group. Right now I'm reading Weird by Craig Groeschel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've read everything on your list except the Bondage Breaker. : )

    Here are my 7 favorites from the past 2 years:
    1. Too Small to Ignore by Wess Stafford
    2. The Divine Mentor by Wayne Cordeiro
    3. Crazy Love by Francis Chan
    4. Forgotten God by Francis Chan
    5. Radical by David Platt
    6. The Hole in the Gospel by Richard Stearns
    7. Authentic Faith by Gary Thomas

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for sharing. We received your package today. Thanks so much.

    much love,
    Teena

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...