Thursday, September 8, 2011

The Power of Prayer

James 5:16 "Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective." (NIV)



In any given situation, how often do we forget the power of prayer? Prayer should be the first thing on our minds in times of crisis, sorrow, confusion, and anger - but also remember to pray in times of joy, gladness, happiness, and celebration. Praying to God can bring about change. God is the one who is in control! He can tell us all to "Drop Dead!" and we all would. God simply asks us to obey his commands. Who better to talk to than the Almighty, creator of heaven and of earth?

After reflecting about this past week, I realize that I can never prayer enough. In the book of Revelation, it is stated that our prayers are placed in golden bowls before God's throne. No matter what we pray, God listens. There are things that I pray for on a daily basis. I pray for my friends and family who have and who haven't found God, for all the people in my work environment (staff and students), that I can surrender myself to God and His will for my life, and for my three Compassion children. Above all of that, I thank God in my prayers that I was alive to pray that prayer and for the good and bad things that happened during the day.

Like many of you, Compassion International is an organization that is very near and dear to my heart. I joined the Prayer Partners Network through Compassion in February 2010. I admit that I need to be better at my consistency with prayers, but I like the structure that Compassion has provided to allow for the needs of the workers and of the children to be prayed over. I encourage you to join me in praying for the children and workers of Compassion as they are carrying out Jesus' will to make disciples of all nations - beginning with the children. Also, be sure to mark The National Day of Prayer on your calendar. It is always the first Thursday in May.



http://www.compassion.com/sponsordonor/prayerpartner/default.htm
http://blog.compassion.com/national-day-of-prayer-2011/

2 comments:

  1. I agree... most of are prayers are asking God for something.. But we need to pray to him in our happiest times also!

    Thanks for the reminder

    ~Claire~

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have also joined the prayer network. I've also been posting the 52 ways to pray each week on my blog and I've found that it has helped me focus my prayers for the children of the world.

    The best thing I did for my family was to make prayer cards for each of our sponsored children. We look at a new child's card each day and then pray for them specifically. At night my girls always ask, "Who are we praying for today?" This is helping them learn who our Compassion children are by name....
    http://compassionfamily.blogspot.com/2011/06/prayer-cards.html

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...